Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Different... Levels? Of Friends...

Taken from one of the extra Bible-based books that i've been reading, "The Teenage Q&A Book" by Josh McDowell and Bill Jones... I thought it real apt for me to share...

Page 103

The first level we call casual friends. This level includes the girl who has the locker beside yours, many of the students in your class, and more than likely your teachers. (You wouldn't call them your enemies, would you? Maybe you better not answer that.) Most anyone you have contact with and speak to would qualify as a casual friend.
The second level of friendship is your close friends. Your close friends include the people you eat with together at lunch, the ones you choose to sit by in class and the ones you go out with on the weekend.
The third and much deeper level of friendship is your committed friends. Where you would have lots of casual friends, several close friends, normally you have just a few commited friends. These are the friends with whom you share who you really are inside. They are the ones you trust and feel safe telling your secrets, hurts and joys.


Okay, let me guess... "There's nothing biblical about that!!!" Hahaha!!! Technically there is... While I read this, many names came to mind (I'm sure to yours as well xD) but the name of my friend who died for me kept humming in my mind when I read the part about committed friends...

I realized that I had many friends, and I thank God that He provided friends from each category for every stage of my life... I also realized that I have many committed friends, even today...

But what struck me is this...

Does anybody consider me as a committed friend? Being who I truly am among my best friends and buddies, do they think the same way as I do? I can only hope...

Anyway, you  guys know who you are... I thank God for putting you there in my life...

And I thank you for being there in my life...

And thus I shall strive to be a committed friend for the people around me...

Are YOU a committed friend? Strive with me, okay? :)


MAL
:-P

P/S : Oh and I highly recommend the book!!! Got it at a second-hand bookstore but it's not half-bad!!! The bottom line? - Get the book :)

10 comments:

I am a life too. said...

I cannot but agree that friendships have different levels of understandings and empathy.

Consciousness and unconsciousness divide what true friendships are.

Why should we even classify when our motive is to seek the best out of friendships?

Do we want to reflect upon the "hierarchy" when we meet with a friend? Sadly, that would entitle us to befall into dazed pretence which is most uncalled for. And it almost always happens.

I believe friendship lies with sincerity and rapport to the person with whom you are spending your time. Otherwise, it exists no friendship, however committed you are.

(I find myself in the position of finding true friendship and am grateful that I have a few; but only a few. I believe nevertheless that friendliness equals not friendships.)

Again, why should we even commit to friendships when there is no-need to? Don't they come naturally with no conscious efforts?


P.S.: Purely my opinions, please rebuke on inaccuracies and inappropriacy.

everjihad said...

hmm...sounds interesting points here..

p/s: maybe one day you can give me bible as present. =D ...

saje nak bace..

Malcolm said...

Ding Ze Hao : No problem, everyone has a right to their own opinion :)
I would love to think that everyone is treated the same, as friends! :) Sadly however, there's always the issue of "preference", or "affinity", if you want to call it so... As humans, we have a tendency to be attracted to those with certain similar characteristics, or whom we fancy more than another... Of course, with all that said, dividing friendships into "hierarchies" make it possible to strive for a certain goal, to be a better friend than another :)
Friendship is a choice... But while we're at it, why not make the best, and be the best friend out of it? :)
P/S: Hey thanks for the comment!!! :)

everjihad : Hey!!! Welcome!!! :)
Of course!!! Hahahaha... Xde problem... Boleh boleh... Tnggu bday u i bagi present, yah? :)


MAL
:-P

I am a life too. said...

Malcolm: True, you are right! :p

everjihad said...

u want wait for my bufday?? hmmm..sure can...ehhe..if u get one, just hold a second until it comes my birthday..=D that will be a great birthday present ever.

A bible!

hoho..

how interesting!

well, my birthday is in May. even if u can get it now, sure I can make it to read it.

p/s: my bufday is 63 days from now. Try to guess!

yTze said...

Man, it's really hard to go to level 3 (my tendency to state the obvious). and you know what, i think the friends you view as level 3 most probably feel the same way about you. :) isn't trust a mutual thing? hmmm. food for thought.

Malcolm said...

Ding Ze Hao : Thanks~ :)

everjihad : Okay~ I'll hold on to it once i get it for u :) Waaa... ujung bulan ye? :)

yTze : Awww... Thanks Jules!!! I only do wish that it were true :) Trust is meant to be mutual... But whether or not it really ends up being a mutual thing... I guess we can only hope... :)


MAL
:-P

everjihad said...

hmm...food for thought??

hehehe what about food food for sould? =D

nice point, by the way ^_^ thumbs up!

everjihad said...

*mistype.

sould > soul ...

Malcolm said...

everjihad : Thanks!!! :)


MAL
:-P